New Zealand Certificate and Diploma in Beauty Therapy
Our beauty therapy course is the South Island’s oldest beauty programme
Our beauty therapy course teaches you how to become a beauty therapist. The beauty course includes facials, manicures, waxing, eye treatments, makeup, body massage, spray tanning, advanced beauty treatments, and even more. After that, you can work in the beauty therapy industry. NZQA has approved the New Zealand Certificate and Diploma in Beauty Therapy programme so you can rest assured your qualifications are recognised.
Quick Facts about the Beauty Therapy Course
It can take up to 2 years or more to achieve both the New Zealand Certificate in Beauty Therapy and the New Zealand Diploma in Beauty Therapy at some other education providers.
At NaSA, you can achieve the certificate and diploma within 18 months so you can get out into the industry quicker with more qualifications.
2020 Programme Fees
for the New Zealand Certificate and Diploma in Beauty Therapy Course
This course is eligible for up to $12,000NZ GST inclusive Fees Free for eligible students.
Fees Free eligible* ♦ Student loans available*
Extra expenses apply ♦ * Fees finalised late in 2019
about the New Zealand Certificate and Diploma in Beauty Therapy Course
60 weeks plus holidays
Face-to-face and self-directed study
20 hours per week
10+ hours per week (first four terms)
15+ hours per week (last two terms)
Students per class
February and July
Approved for loans
Approved for Fees Free
What You’ll Learn in the Beauty Therapy Course
Overall, you will learn these subjects in the New Zealand Certificate and Diploma in Beauty Therapy course:
- Client care and communication
- Hygiene and sterilisation
- Items and events relating to accidents
- Care of electrical equipment
- Consultation before the treatment
- Making a treatment plan
- After the treatment
Manicure and Pedicure
- Contraindications to manicure
- Manicure products and tools
- Both manicures and pedicures
Skin Care and Facials
- Facial contraindications
- Contraindications to both basic and advanced electricals
- Facial cosmetic products
- Manual facial treatments
- Both basic and advanced facial electrical treatments
- Advanced beauty treatments
- Contraindications to eye treatments
- Eye products
- Enhancing both eyebrows and eyelashes
- Contraindications to makeup
- Makeup and cosmetics
- Make-up services
- Contraindications to waxing
- Waxing products
- Waxing treatments
Swedish Massage and Body Electricals
- Contraindications to massage
- Massage products
- Swedish body massages
- Body electrical treatments
Figure Diagnosis and Exercise
- Contraindications to both figure diagnosis and exercise
- Perform a figure diagnosis
- Basic exercise routines
Body Wraps and Exfoliation Treatments
- Contraindications to both body wraps and exfoliations
- Body wrap products
- Both body wraps and exfoliation treatments
- Contraindications to spray tanning
- Spray tanning products
- Spray tanning treatments
Anatomy and Physiology
- Human anatomy and physiology for beauty therapy
- Skin anatomy and physiology
- Nail anatomy and physiology
- Hair anatomy and physiology
Electricity and Basic Physics
- Electricity and basic physics
- Basic nutritional advice for beauty
- Nutritional plans for clients
Reception and Client Sales
- Reception services and skills
- Selling to clients and transaction services
- Helping run a small beauty business
- Basic management of a small beauty business
- Short-wave diathermy electrology treatments
- Blend galvanic electrology treatments
Want to know more about the components and subjects in the New Zealand Certificate and Diploma in Beauty Therapy programme?
You can learn about component names, codes, outcomes, credits and levels by also downloading the Courses in the New Zealand Certificate and Diploma in Beauty Therapy Programme fact sheet.
You will need the most updated version of Adobe Acrobat Reader or a similar PDF reader installed in order to view the file.
Recognised Qualifications Available from the Beauty Therapy Course
The National School of Aesthetics Qualifications
You can gain these qualifications when you successfully complete your New Zealand Certificate in Beauty Therapy course:
- New Zealand Certificate in Beauty Therapy (Level 4) [NZ3444]
- New Zealand Diploma in Beauty Therapy (Level 5) [NZ3445]
Optional International Qualifications
You can sit international examinations also. These are extra expenses so you cannot use a student loan to pay for them. You may need to complete further study and work.
You can gain these qualifications when you successfully complete your international examinations:
- Beauty Specialists
Dates, Times, Costs, and More Details about the Beauty Therapy Course
You can check the NaSA calendar for important dates related to this course.
The July 2020 intake is full as of Friday, 12 June 2020.
These costs and dates are tentative as of 19 February 2020.
We are not accepting applications for 2021 programmes until the dates listed below. Please check the NaSA calendar for more information.
Special Notes about the New Zealand Certificate and Diploma in Beauty Therapy
- All prices are in New Zealand dollars.
- All prices include 15% GST.
- See Application and Enrolment Dates for further information. You should apply for your course as soon as enrolment opens to avoid disappointment.
- We need at least 8 students to be enrolled 2 weeks before the course starts in order to proceed with it.
- * Programme fees are estimated. We know the actual fees for the following year when the Government approves our funding and releases its policies.
- All students: You must pay a $150 non-refundable enrolment administration fee when you enrol. Your student loan or the Fees Free scheme will not pay your enrolment administration fee, so they will not pay it back to you. Therefore, the non-refundable enrolment administration fee is a charge outside of your programme fees and extra expenses.
- International Students: Please see the International Students section.
- International students must pay all their fees when they enrol.
- The National School of Aesthetics reserves the right to alter or change details, prices, dates, et cetera, on the courses at the school whenever changes are needed.
- This information was correct when we published it (06/2020).
- Extra expenses apply, and most must be paid for before you start your course.
- Payment plans are not available.
- See The Physiotherapy Act Disclaimer for further information on the Physiotherapy Act and the National School of Aesthetics.